Design a site like this with WordPress.com
Get started

CAF Wants Napoli Chairman Disciplined For Degrading AFCON

The confederation of African football- CAF says it is “appalled by the irresponsible and unacceptable remarks made by Napoli President, Mr Aurelio De Laurentiis on African players and the Africa Cup of Nations.

“By publicly declaring that players who sign for Napoli must sign a waiver denouncing participation in the Africa Cup of Nations as a condition of employment, De Laurentiis’ comments likely to fall under Article 14 of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations. CAF therefore urges UEFA to initiate disciplinary investigation against him.

“We have no doubt that Napoli and UEFA are as committed as CAF is to these global humanitarian objectives.

Are we to assume that the Chairman of Napoli is going to include similar restrictive conditions to players from South America, Asia and other Confederations prohibiting them from playing in their Continental competitions which are important for the development and growth of football globally?

The African Cup of Nations is the flagship competition of the African continent and one of the leading global football competitions. Its last edition in Cameroon was shown in more than 160 countries and attracted more than 600 million viewers.” Read the official statement issued by CAF on Sunday Afrternoon.

Italian Serie-A side Napoli football club president Aurelio De Laurentiis said last week that his club can only sign African players on condition that they snub the Africa cup of nations.

The clubs president said he is nolonger interested in signing African players unless they meet that requirement henceforth . 

Quoted by Football Italia, De Laurentiis further disclosed that African players can only be signed by Napoli until they sign a document agreeing to boycott the Africa Cup of Nations which is Africa’s biggest football showpiece. 

“I told them lads, don’t talk to me about Africans anymore!” said De Laurentiis during a streamed event as quoted by Football Italia.

“I love them, but either they sign something confirming they’ll back out of playing the Africa Cup of Nations, or otherwise between that tournament, the World Cup qualifiers in South America, these players are never available!

“We are the idiots who pay salaries only to send them all over the world playing for others” he concluded. 

With two players still in the Napoli squad; Victor Osimhen of Nigeria and Andre Zambo Anguissa of Cameroon, it remains to be seen if the club will stop them from playing for their respective countries next year during the AFCON qualifiers or will decide to sell the them.

Advertisement

Published by Calvin Kaumba Chikenge

I am a journalist. passionate about culture , sports and developmental story writing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: